From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:58:41 -0600

I received the following email from Farmland Foods.  I asked if their hams were gluten free.  I am including the complete email so if you have further questions you can contact them directly.  Rita

Dear Rita:

Thank you for contacting us about your question regarding gluten in our Farmland Brand products. It is unfortunate that certain ingredients have an effect on certain people.

Spice formulations from our suppliers and secondary suppliers, can change from time to time and still be correct under USDA labeling requirements. Because of this, along with the possibility of cross contamination from the secondary suppliers to our own main ingredients, we cannot absolutely guarantee that any of our products would be gluten free.

We wish we had a different answer for you and others who have contacted us, but we just cannot guarantee that a product, at any given time would not contain the ingredients you are questioning.

Farmland Foods does offer a new line of "All Natural" fresh pork items.  The "All Natural" is stated on the label, along with no antibiotic residues, no added hormones, no artificial ingredients and minimally processed. While it does not have a gluten free guarantee on the label, perhaps you can better evaluate if this fits into any information that you may have.

If you have a question about a specific ingredient in a product, you can direct your questions to Sandy Gronau, with our Quality Assurance Team.  She would need to know the exact product you have - a UPC # is helpful, the ingredient and what your concern is.  Sometimes she is able to answer a question to a consumer's satisfaction regarding gluten and whether they are comfortable trying a particular product.  At this time, we just do not "guarantee" our products to be gluten free.

You can reach Sandy at 1-800-831-1812 x7469.  Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM CST.  Have a great day, and again, thank you for your contact with our company.

Sincerely,

Leslie Thomas
Consumer Relations
Farmland Foods, Inc.