From:
Marne Platt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marne Platt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2011 03:46:15 -0500

dear fellow listmates-
as the holiday cookie season approaches I have started my annual search for an easy basic cookie recipe. This one comes from The Dominion Cookbook, edited by Anne Clarke Published 1899 (yes, that's correct) by McLeod and Allen of Toronto. It's simple and the original recipe did use rice flour.

Rice Cakes
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick (125 grams, quarter of a pound) of butter
2 cups rice flour
3 eggs

FYI I used margarine and a combination of 1 1/2 c rice flour and 1/2 c sweet rice flour. Just mix it all up and you have a drop cookie dough! I added chocolate bits to some, and raisins and cinnamon sugar to others. You could probably thicken it with more rice flour or sweet rice flour and have a dough that could be rolled out and used with cookie cutters.  The dough is slightly sweet and could be good with a flavoring (orange, lemon, vanilla, etc) added too - I think this will be a very useful addition to my recipe collection.
The original recipe said to bake in a 'slow oven'  - I baked the cookies at 325F (160C) for about 18 minutes and they were just slightly crispy.

Enjoy!
Kind regards
Marne

soften the butter, mix it all up and use as