From:
Susan Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:14:24 -0400

Hi Everybody!   Firstly, a huge thank you for the overwhelming response to
my question.

Well it seems that I am the last celiac patient to be using metamucil, so
if you are the second to last here are the guidelines:

First and foremost, its usage was wholeheartedly supported by almost
everyone....a few respondants were negative, but only because it really
does take your body a bit of time to adjust, and I was simply taking too
much.

Secondly, Metamucil magically works for both constipation AND diarreah.
It adds bulk to your stools in the case of constipation and the product
slows down your system and seems to absorb water in your intestines if you
suffer from more than occasional diarreah,  which unfortunately always
seems to be my case.

Start with 1/2 of a teaspoon an hour before bed.  Many people who
responded said the best way to take it is to put the dry metamucil in your
mouth,  add a bit of water to make a paste and then swallow.  It is quite
uneconomical in a glass.  NEVER TRY TO SWALLOW IT WITHOUT WATER.

You will be gassy, but within three days you can start  increasing until
after 2-3 weeks you are at 1 tbsp morning and night.   A lot of people
just take it at night, and avoid the daytime symptoms altogether.

Many people said,  no amount is too much and that the added fibre in your
diet is nothing but beneficial.  Of course you need to round out the
vitamin/mineral side with other fibrous things like broccoli, beans, etc.
 But look at this as a "hyper-bran" alternative.

You can purchase psyllium husks  (which is what metamucil is)  at most
health food stores for less, however the smooth textured orange flavour
from the drugstore/supermarket  tastes great.  I actually like taking it!!

Thanks again for all the responses

Susan