From:
Jean Lyke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jean Lyke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:47:35 -0600

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT RESPONDED TO MY ENQUIRY REGARDING A CONNECTION OF HAVING CELIAC DISEASE AND BEING MORE PRONE TO HAVING DIARRHEA AFTER GALLBLADDER SURGERY.

First an update of what has happened since I posted describing my sonogram (no stones) and HIGA (30% ejection rate of the gallbladder) requested by my primary doc and the visit with his referred surgeon. This surgeon is now reluctant to do the surgery because he thought the test might not be accurate, the supposedly connection of celiac and diarrhea, and was a bit afraid of my scars and adhesions from previous surgeries.  Later in the week I was hurting so bad I made a visit to an ER and was referred to another surgeon who also had some of the same thoughts as the first surgeon and did not think it was the gallbladder that was causing my pain.  I also had blood drawn and an x-ray at the ER - the blood tests looked good (no infection) and nothing shown up with the x-ray.
So I don’t know what to think - still having pain in my right upper side along with lots of gas, loose stools, some nausea, and pain/bloating when I eat – feels like I could explode at times.  I plan on going back to my primary doc and request a referral to a gastroenterologist for further examination and more tests i.e. EDG – had it with surgeons.  Even thought about going back to Mayo in MN where I had the liver surgery – however, it is a long drive and the weather is not the best in MN this time of the year with the snow and cold.

Most of those who responded did not think there was a connection of having celiac and being prone to having diarrhea after surgery but did offer suggestions.  Recommended during surgery the gallbladder should be bagged to prevent strictures/scar tissue and afterwards do a low fiber/low fat diet, eat yogurt, use probiotics, use lomotil to slow down the gut, bile acid sequestrants or loperamide.
There were several who indicated diarrhea was more of a long term problem after surgery and unfortunately are having a difficult time.  I wish them well.

I appreciate all the suggestions and good wishes.