From:
"Kristen S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:28:17 -0500

Here is the summary to my post on GF potato chips...

Charlie White says...
  stick to chips prepared with canola, sunflower or safflower oil, or
try baked corn chips.  Cottonseed oil can cause problems.  Popcorn that
you pop yourself is a good compromise.

My question, if anyone can answer...what is done to the cottonseed oil
that is a problem?

Bobbi Proctor says...
   Many plain potato chips seem to be GF.  She has eaten Utz brand (in
Maryland/PA, USA area) and Lay's brand with no problems.  Flavored chips
seem contain wheat, and other suspect ingredients.  Calling the
manufacturer would be the safe thing to do.  She also mentioned allergy
to certain oils.

Penny says...
   "You should call them (manufacturer), regardless of GF statuses other
people give you.  Just in case, I have a list of 1-800's for companies.
In Canada, the main chip companies have several GF chips & cheesies".
Her e-mail is [log in to unmask]

Bev Wahl says...
   Frito Lay sent a list of GF chips and products (compiled in 10/95).
Lay's potato chips (original)
Munchos potato chips (original)
Ruffles potato chips, reduced fat potato chips (unflavored)
Fritos corn chips, dip size, scoops (unflavored)
Tostitos 100% white corn triangle and round and restaurant style
original flavor baked white corn chips, unsalted flavor baked corn chips
Wavy Lays potato chips (original flavor)
  Her celiac daughter has eaten all of the above items with no problem.

Barb in Washington State says....
  She got sick from Western Family potato chips, and was told that some
companies dust the production line with flour to keep things from
sticking.  She got 2 shoppers guides, one form CSA and one from TCCSSG
(in Michigan) and has stuck to Lays brand and has had no problems.

Jane Trevett in New Haven, CT says...
   There is a commercial products listing available with a 71 page list
of commercial products that are GF, which includes potato chips.  You
can order it by sending $8 to CSA/USA, Inc., P.O. Box 31700, Omaha, NE
68131-0700.

Christopher Sann says...
  cross-contamination with other unsafe oils like corn oil.  Salt used
on the chips may be stabilized with anti-caking agents which are corn
based.

  **My question...why is corn oil unsafe? Unless you have a corn
allergy, correct?

Alex says...
   He eats Shoprite brand and has been OK.

Margaret Greeno says...
   She became sick from potatoes fried in cottonseed oil.  She's had
good luck with brands that just list a specific oil, such as corn.

Thank you all for your posts!  I would like to ask you all about the
cottonseed oil and if any of you know why this causes problem for the
celiac.  Thanks.

Kristen White
Marbledale, CT