From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:53:16 +0000

Happy Saturday!Okay, so I know I said I wasn't going to summarize.  But one of our list members has done an extensive amount of research and comparison on the old Udi bread vs. the new re-formulated Udi bread.  Felt that I had to share her info and hard work with the List.  So here it is:
Udie's has reformulated their bread and no longer makes the large loaves. They have replaced the big loaves with smaller loaves that have a completely different texture and taste. Someone on the list mentioned this earlier this month, and I did a comparison between the new and old (see below). I much prefer the old formulation. I suspect the larger loaves are gone for good.

Guess it's goodbye again to regular-sized sandwiches. I know some local sandwich shops that use the big loaves, which means that their sandwiches will be smaller.

I just compared an Udie's loaf from the freezer (last of the big ones) to one of the new ones. Here's how they compare:

Size of each slice--slice taken from middle of loaf (inches)
New: 4 1/2 wide (varied to 3 7/8 in middle) X 3 5/8  tall (varied to 3  in the middle) 7/16 height
Old: 5 1/8 wide (4 1/4 at bottom) X 3 3/8 tall 9/16 height

Slices in loaf, not counting heels
New: 14  Old: 17

Height of loaf
New: 6 3/4  Old: 11

Cost, as sold at Costco. The new bread come two loaves to a bag.
New: $10 for 38 ounces (two loaves) is $.26/ ounce, $.35/slice
Old: $7 for 30 ounces is $.23/ounce, $41.17/slice

Impressions:

The old slices are much firmer. If you hold them by the edges, the old slices stay pretty level, with only a slight droop, the new slices droop almost vertical and crack at the hold point.

The old slices are a fairly uniform shape, being a bit narrower at the bottom and wider at the top. The new slices are dented in severely at the bottom and sides, slightly at the middle top.

The old slices are firm and hard to squish. The new slices are very squishable and don't look like they would stand up to being spread with peanut butter at all. All the new loaves we have are very squished-looking at the top (open end of bag), as though they had been stacked upside-down and the weight of the loaf above compressed the bottom slices.

The crust on the new slices had a burned taste and the brown margin at the top of the slice extends about a quarter inch. The old slices don't have the burned taste and have a 1/8 inch brown margin at the top.

The new bread is easily compressed into doughy pellets. The old slices will crumble if the same is attempted. The new bread has a consistent hole size throughout. The old has a variety of hole sizes with large holes in places.

Taste: new is slightly sweeter and has a distinct burned taste at the crust.

Nutrition is hard to compare, due to the size difference in the slice and the fact that the new loaves consider a serving one slice and the old ones use two slices for a serving, but they appear similar, except that the new loaves have 0 iron, the old have 2% per slice. This could be due to the fact that the new loaves list rice starch as the second ingredient, and the old list brown rice flour second.

Overall: the new bread is more expensive per ounce, and the slightly smaller width combined with the squished, non-uniform shape and reduced usability make this a poor value compared to the old Udies.

*******
*******