From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 20:16:17 -0700

Two weeks ago I had re-bypass surgery in El Paso (about 40 miles away
-- long story). The week before, I had been in our local hospital for
an angiogram. Being near home made meals quite easy, and our local
hospital puts the phone number of the dietitian on the paper that
comes with your meal so you can get quick answers to your questions.

The El Paso hospital, however, was another situation entirely. When I
was in CCU, a very competent diet tech interviewed me, and seemed
quite knowledgeable about what would and wouldn't be safe. The first
meal after surgery was great -- "naked" chicken, rice, and veggies.
However, after I got up on the telemetry floor, it soon became a
different story. There was no phone number on anything, to begin
with. Because El Paso is a border city, the people who bring your
meals to you really don't have any knowledge to answer any questions.
Finally, the kitchen's only solution to the g-f problem was to
eliminate! The day I went home, lunch came as I was leaving the room.
There was a small salad, a small dish of grapes, and -- I lifted the
lid on the plate -- one-half cup of plain white rice! Thankfully, my
family brought food to me, but I could have starved!

I did take copies of the celiac restaurant card and a general booklet
on celiac disease that were either taken to the kitchen by the diet
tech or put in my file. After bypass surgery, you're not really up to
much self-help.

I don't know the answer, except to get busy contacting hospitals and
having meetings with people. It's really hard when the kitchen/cafeteria
is closed on weekends and holidays (like Thanksgiving) and your support
system doesn't have anywhere to go!

By the way, they gave me 4 pints of blood -- the surgeon said he
didn't know where it was going, but that I definitely needed it. I
think I must just hover on the brink of anemia, despite being
compulsively g-f for 6 years now. Many thanks to all who donate --
especially the rare blood types like B-negative.

Sue -- Susan Pieper / Las Cruces, NM To live is so startling it leaves
little time for anything else. -- E. Dickinson