Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:09:45 -0500

After being dx celiac 4/04, my extreme nausea never subsided, and ultimately
I had my gallbladder removed 9/04.  After gallbladder removal the nausea
never returned and I have been free of the vague rotating abdominal/chest
pain and at my post-op visit the surgeon said my bile duct was so huge he
was sure I had a stone(s) lodged whereupon radiology was summoned to the OR
while I was under anesthesia only to find the duct clear.  The surgeon said
it was one of the largest and most torturous bile ducts he had ever seen and
that I must have been "throwing" stones for years (I am 5'3", 115 lbs at the
time).

It's been more than 2 years being strictly gluten free and corn free and I
am doing quite well except for occasional diarrhea after even a mildly fatty
meal.  I read this listserv every day and have seen postings over the years
regarding gallbladder problems/inability to digest fats.  I have also read
someone takes ox bile at the beginning of meals to assist in fat digestion
which I have not tried yet.  I understand the etiology of not having a
gallbladder wherein bile is continually secreted in very small amounts from
my liver into my small intestines.  No longer do I have a gallbladder that
contracts and releases bile upon having a fatty meal.  The small amount of
bile secreted obviously is not enough for me to handle the small amounts of
fat I consume.  This last Sunday afternoon I had a bout of diarrhea which
ruined my afternoon and I am determined to do something about it this time.
I would appreciate comments from those of you with similar problems, even
those of you who do have a gallbladder but probably have bile duct secretion
problems and what they do for it.  Does anyone take bile salts of other
animals and do they help?  In June I had liver and pancreatic enzymes
checked and all were normal, and my stomach HCL hydrochloric acid is quite
healthy so I am pretty sure it is the missing gallbladder that is causing me
continued problems.  There have been no slip-ups on the gluten free diet or
with any meds.

On another note, I have read Dr. Dahlman's posting to this listserv and his
40 page instructions on how to live free of IBS and other digestive
problems.  He makes some very poignant points, like being entirely gluten
free (including corn), sugar free and dairy free, as well as consuming
fruits on an empty stomach so they do not rot in the gut and can move
through the digestive system quickly like they are meant to do.  Although
being dairy free is very difficult, I have accomplished this over the last 2
months and I cannot tell you how much better I feel, and how the frequency
of bowel movements has decreased to what I remember as being normal!  Dr.
Dahlman sells digestive enzymes, and one of those medications is geared
towards people who are missing their gallbladders.  Is there anyone out
there that has tried this particular medication by Dr. Dahman?  I already
follow the Eat Right 4 your bloodtype diet for the most part regarding
avoiding certain foods as well as follow the SCD diet with finishing touches
from Dr. Dahlman's comments.  Other remedies and suggestions to help digest
fats would be most appreciated as well. Thanks to all, Dorina, near
Galveston, TX [log in to unmask]

*******
*******