Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:11:50 -0700

Since writing the response from the company  (Mott's) that this product is not gluten free because of the vinegar, several people have written me insisting that is wrong because all white vinegar is gluten free, only malt vinegar is not.  It has been suggested that the company does not know about vinegar.

In the first place, we don't know if it is white or malt vinegar in clamato juice and in the second place we don't know that all white vinegar IS gf.

Mott's produce gallons of this stuff and distributes it widely into many countries.   They could be buying large quantities of white vinegar from overseas where it is not gf.

I do know that clamato juice has gluten in it as I had a very strong adverse reaction that was obviously due to gluten.

I think it is wise to accept the company's statement as true and switch to V8 juice.  Campbell's Soup Company, who makes V8, assures me that all types of V8 are gluten free.  They were very helpful and courteous on the phone and by email and are sending me a complete list of their products which are gluten free.

FWIW

Jessie