From:
Michael Coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:10:57 -0400

I received about eight responses to my post.  Of those, five were from people
who have problems when they eat canola oil.  Others had no such problems.  I,
upon human trial, appear to fall in with the former crowd, at least for the
time being.  But I may have reacted to something else, so I'll try canola oil
again sometime to make sure, and to see if things change.  (I was only
diagnosed a few months ago and am still getting the hang of this.)

But, unlike critical matters of American government, opinion polling won't
decide the issue.  The best advice I got was that we all differ and need to
listen carefully to our own bodies regarding sensitivities to foods other
than those containing gluten.  In that light, CSA/USA's occasionally vague
descriptions of non-gluten sensitivities may best serve as a "head's up" to
let us know of potential problems, while we let our bodies tell us what works
for each of us.

A couple of responses also suggested that canola, once known by the
understandably less marketable name "rape," may be more closely related to
"the offending grains" than other seed oils.  My own Webster's defines rape
as "a European herb (Brassica napus) of the mustard family grown as a forage
crop for sheep and hogs and for its seeds, which yield oil and are a bird
food."  I don't know if that makes a difference, but there it is.

Mike Coe
Arlington, VA