From:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:07:15 -1000

*When they gave me my first B12 shot, it gave me diarrhea so bad for 2
weeks. I almost needed to be hospitalized. B12 is a super detoxifier. If
you had bad stuff in your gut like candida or bad bacteria, it is trying
to get rid of that. If you are still taking the B12 you might want to
cut the dose back for a while, or stop the shots for a short time. I
just had to work my way up very slowly over a year to the recommended
dose. Also the type of B12 matters. I like hydroxycobalamine and some
like methylcobalamine, but my docs don't recommend cyanocobalamine.

*My first B12 blood level was 268 - not deficient by AMERICAN standards,
which are usually given as 250 to 700. My GP, who had ordered the test,
said "That's not too low, but I suppose taking a supplement wouldn't
hurt." Actually,

taking a supplement I am convinced saved my life as my health was
deteriorating so fast.

However, I did a lot of research on B12 deficiency after that, and
learned that most first world nations use a normal range of about 500 to
1300. From experience, I've learned if my level goes below 500, I feel
awful. I've had 3 doctors since I started the supplements (mine was on
maternity leave) tell me I didn't need them. I just ignore them, because
I know how badly I do need the extra B12, or if I'm feeling feisty, I
tell them their lab ranges are outdated and they should get up to date.
Try a google search on vitamin B12 and deficiency for some articles that
might help you. My bookmark folder keeps crashing, or I'd send you the
links. I know one of the most useful ones is from a UK version of
medline.One other thing: if you take any form of estrogen, try to take
it about 12 hours after the B12, as it can lower your B12 level
according to myOB Gyn The nausea and vomiting I had were usually the
first half of the day
-
> if I tried to brush my teeth after breakfast, it was guaranteed I
would throw up. I
> now can have clean teeth again! ;-)
>  I did have a bit of short term memory problem until the B12 really
> kicked in - a whole lot of walking into a room, and wondering what I
> had gone there for sort of sensation. Also it seemed to take me a
little longer to figure
> out  some simple things. I would say that problem is 95% gone after 15
months
> of  daily high dose B12. At the worst of the problem for me,
exercising was
> simply  not an option - I had severe attacks of large muscle weakness
- my legs
> would  simply give out and I would collapse. I also had "intermittant
claudication"
> which was pain/tingling in the legs. And it took a long time - months
-
> to  catch up on a 2 year+ sleep deficite.
> The good news is B12 problems almost always improve w/ simple, cheap
treatment
> - the vitamins cost me about $4 for a two month supply, and taking
> them is much easier than the gf diet. But you might have to be a
> little patient.I had 2 years of daily nausea and vomiting that 6 weeks
of high dose B12
>>tablets resolved. I expect now that I will take B12 for the rest of my

>>life, because if I miss as few as 2 days, I get symptomatic, starting
>>w/ nausea and sleep problems. My doctor insisted I try monthly B12
injections -symptomatic
again within 2 weeks. Have you tried the oral form to keep your level
more even over the month? Some people do better w/ that than shots,
despite what the doctors tell you!My sleep problems got better within 2
weeks of starting the B12, the N&V took closer to 2 months to really go
away.