Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 15:31:23 -0500

Dear Listmates -

I got quite a few responses to this.

One listmate said that the packing peanuts made from wheat
starch are off-white biege, a little messy, with a powdery residue,
and there may be a little powdery residue on the box.

This list member has had reactions to these.

She has suggested wearing gloves to open all packages.

Also, to avoid the glues on envelope flaps, and not lick envelopes or
stamps.

The post office used to sell a very cheap sponge device for wetting
envelope flaps.  Office Max or Office Depot would have something, too.

Another mentioned the packaging for Jones Farms sausage.

Jones Farms told her that the sausage is GF, but the box is
not - and not to buy it.  I guess that means the box is coated
with gluten on the inside.  Bad marketing practice.

Most listmates said they weren't aware that packing peanuts
could be wheat starch.  There is now a trend to use those little,
clear inflated bags instead.  I like that.

At any rate, better cautious than sick.

Have a good week, everyone!

Vicki