Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:40:38 EDT

I appreciate so many prompt replies to my question about whether undiagnosed
celiacs always have anemia. Thirty people have responded that they (and
sometimes several family members) were definitively diagnosed, but were NOT
anemic. Several people also provided me with references to studies and
surveys that have shown this is not uncommon.

I asked the question because of something my new gastro doc said. My son was
diagnosed with celiac seven years ago, but I have been having several issues
lately that I am seeing the gastro about (lactose intolerance, diarrhea, mild
weight loss). He is convinced I have IBS (in fact, that's what his nurse told
me before he even saw me; my, my, aren't they efficient).

I asked that he do the TTG test to rule out celiac first. He agreed
reluctantly, but assured me that I couldn't POSSIBLY have CD, since blood
tests taken by my primary care doc several months ago showed that I was not
anemic. In this gastro's opinion women with undiagnosed celiac will be anemic
100% of the time (though he thinks men have a slight chance of not being
anemic). Based on the responses I received, he is misinformed! We'll see
about my case - we did the TTG test anyway.

Tami in Minnesota, USA