From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 01:45:59 GMT

USENET is an Internet technique for accessing List messages that some
people use in lieu of e-mail.  It was one of the techniques for reading
CELIAC List messages.  The others are: Mail, Digest, and Index.

The Internet is a wonderful resource for obtaining information, but it
does have its shady side.  Unfortunately, systems controls on USENET do
not allow a Listowner reasonable control of messages.  Recent problems
have included fake messages and the gathering of e-mail addresses for
SPAMs.

Therefore, access to Celiac through: BIT.LISTSERV.CELIAC is being
terminated.

The Listserv(R) option called Index is very similar to the use of subject
headings review on USENET.  When your CELIAC e-mail subscription is set
to Index, you receive one or two messages each day composed of the post
subject lines without the posts themselves.  To obtain messages that are
interesting to you, there is a simple process to request the complete
message by return mail.

To obtain messages through this process, you must subscribe to the
List (most of you already have done this).

Send to [log in to unmask]

        SUB CELIAC YourFirstName YourLastname

Once you receive the welcome message, than send this command to the
Listserv(R)

        SET CELIAC INDEX

Another choice is to go to our WWW site and perform an interactive
search of the logfiles.  This is not only easy to do, but operates
in much the same format as the newsgroup did The default search shows
messages in the sequence that they were posted.  While there it is also
a good idea to look at the NEW option to see the additional files which
have been posted at our WWW site.  The address is:

        http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/celiac

We regret this drastic action but a recent Usenet incident has made it
necessary.

Please do not reply to the CELIAC List on this message.  Send any
comments you have to the listowners at:

For the CELIAC listowners,

--
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
One of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners