Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:48:46 -0500

I copied the following info from a nutritional correspondence course by
Dr. Bernard Jensen years ago.  Since several have been discussing flax
seeds, thought you may find this interesting.

"One of the cheapest and best laxative foods is flaxseed meal.  Take one
tablespoon with each meal, and plenty of liquid along with it.  It will
add proper bulk, lubrication, and is a wonderful supplement.  Flaxseed
tea is also wonderful.  If soaked and not boiled, it is higher in
Vitamin F, a wonderful vitamin for healing the intestinal tract,
especially for inflammation, colitis, ulcers, etc.  Bring the flaxseed
to a boil, then let it soak overnight.  Strain the next morning and
drink to clean up these conditions."

He also suggests that people with sensitive stomach and bowels should
avoid extreme roughage.  So if it causes you too much distress, it might
be best to make a tea out of the seeds rather than using the flax meal.
At one time, I drank a cup of this tea every night and it did seem very
soothing and healing.  I think I mixed it with apple juice to make it
more palatable.

Suz