From:
Jody Mattison-German <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 19:58:00 -0700

Hey, I can't believe people lull themselves into
eating wheat starch because it is processed
'gluten-free'. It is a wheat product, guys, it is
processed from raw wheat by fallible human beings in a
plant where contamination can happen. Everyone talks
about products on dedicated lines to avoid the
slightest contamination... how can this codex wheat
starch be guaranteed free of contamination? Standards
on many processed foods include percentages of insect
parts, etc., in the final product, necessary because
of the inevitability of contamination. I have read
recommendations to have separate toasters, etc. in the
family kitchen, to avoid the slightest crumb (even
though burnt to charcoal). Do you really think that no
gluten-containing wheat ever passes through the air,
on bags and containers, on the hands of loyal
underpaid employees, while they process this wonderful
wheat?

Same reason I have no faith in the safety of nuclear
power... we humans are fallible, I may love my sister
but I still question what ingredients she used!

And to all those people who love the taste of wheat
starch products, have they tried any of the new
flours? Have they ever had anything but the grainy dry
rice flour products? Why take the chance on wheat?

Sincerely,
Jody