From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:08:05 EST

EDUCATIONAL LOBBYING - MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Why do we do this? AWARENESS and FUNDING to requestincreased research and
education dollars. Our message is 2-fold - first werepresent the coalitions -
Digestive Disease National Coalition (DDNC) andNational Institute of
Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS).Second - we have the
opportunity to explain why the increased funding isimportant to our cause -
celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.

How do things work that day? DDNC and NIAMS coordinate allsupport groups
attending the assault on the hill. They do a briefing in themorning to
explain what we are asking for as a coalition and have packets wetake to the
congress people we visit. They have pre-arranged meetings withcongress people
from our areas, but if there are several people from one area,they will
spread them out to represent many areas of the country.

Visits to the hill start beforelunch; we often will break for lunch and then
finish after lunch with thevisits, and end the day with a debriefing session.
Visits are brief - 10 to 15minutes each, so key points have to be stressed
early.

What information do we give them? The rule here is: 'key information'.The
people readying this information will ready it quickly. So we will have afact
sheet that has important facts and contact information. We are asked tolimit
our information to 1-2 pages.

Who can do this? Anyone! Kids make a lastingimpression, especially if they do
some of the talking. Adults of all ages,especially if you have the disease or
have a family member with the disease.

Do I have to be a professional orhave expertise? No!You simply have to be
impassioned about the cause you are speaking about.

What are the days we are lobbying? March 19th we will lobby with theDigestive
Disease National Coalition (DDNC). March 27th we lobby with Coalitionof
Patient Advocates for Skin Disease Research (CPASDR), as part of NIAMS

If you want to help spread the word, contact Cynthia at theGluten Intolerance
Group at <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>.
Educational lobbying helps us all.

Contact Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) in Seattle, WA for information.

Gluten Intolerance Group
15110 10th Ave SW, Suite A
Seattle, WA 98166-1820

Telephone:  206-246-6652
Fax:        206-246-6531
Website:    www.gluten.net
Email:      [log in to unmask]
       or   [log in to unmask]

Executive Director: Cynthia Kupper, C.R.D.(CertifiedRegistered Dietitian)
(and she has Celiac Disease) is very willing to work withanyone that calls.
Cynthia also has credentials as a former C.D.E. (CertifiedDiabetes Educator).

Nancy
Seattle, WA
USA