From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:48:38 -0700

More gf, dairyfree, grainfree, nightshade free, egg & yeast free...
Thanks everyone, Jill/Texas

1.  WholeSoy soy yogurt, cream of rice, rice crackers with peanut (or
any nut or seed) butter and jelly or apple butter

2.  Low-sodium store-brand bacon (also has no sugar added, which can
cause problems for celiacs);Ripe bananas mashed with short-grained rice
and/or egg yolks (not whites, which can resemble gluten in a sensitive
instestine); lean beef or hamburger, hard-cooked poached, fried, or
boiled eggs (usually just the yolks),use almond-nut flour in place of
grain flours. You have to buy plain (not dry-roasted) almonds and grind
them -or some health-food stores may have the flour. You can make a kind
of crepe (flat) pancake from plain rice flour.  I have done this myself
and it is tasty but very flat - more of a wrap than a pancake.  Peanut
butter is another good thing, as long as it is not made from dry roasted
nuts (may be processed with gluten), constains nothing added but salt,
etc.  You can mix it with rice, honey, berry, other nuts and get quite a
treat, or place it on pancakes, other starch things.Try making products
from just rice flour, or buying Oriental store rice pasta. Short-grained
Oriental Rices are best, not enriched (may contain gluten from vitamins
extracted from barley).  Williams Rice of California produces
short-grained. Obtain Elaine Gottshcall's books:  Breaking the Vicious
Cycle (1994, 1999), The Kirkton Press, Baltimore, Ontario, Canada; or
the prior edition Food and the Gut Reaction (1987). If you order a copy
(or ask your library to buy one), get the latest as it has a special
section on celiac.

3.  soup for breakfast.  In this case, something like chicken and rice
with some veggies.

4.  how about a pizza?  Use non-dairy cheese and rice crusts.
How about cream of rice with non-dairy milk and margarine and sugar?
How about rice cakes with PB and Jelly with a sausage side?

5.  cooked rice cereal?  I make it a little on the thin side and add
maple syrup.

6.  grate an apple or pear, chop a banana, and chop some almonds or
walnuts....mix together - add some cinammon and maybe some homemade
almond milk (or not) and eat it.    It's yummy.Lots of variations you
can do on that one as well, including eating it warm, with warmed milk
or apple juice, using persimmon instead of banana, adding dried fruit
like figs (great calcium content in figs).There are also a bazillion
different ways to combine fruit and juice or homemade almond milk to
make fantastic smoothies to which I add greenfood powders (usually
Hydrilla verticillata by Vibrant Health b/c it has *624 mgs* of calcium
per tbsp).  I keep bananas and bags of frozen fruit in the freezer, then
always have both homemade almond milk and other fresh squeezed juiced on
hand to make a variety of smoothies.Ever throw catanaloupe chunks in the
blender for a smoothie...just the cantaloupe?

Almond milk plus 1-2 frozen bananas (depending on size/preferred
consistency) plus six large frozen strawberries.I make the almond milk
b/c I don't want the cost of storebought, the sugar content of
storebought....also, it just tastes fantastic to me.  Recipe:

1:4 ratio of nuts to water....blend for a few minutes....drape a linen-y
type kitchen towel over a tupperware container.....pour the milk in
it......gather up the edges and squeeze the milk through.  I discard the

almond pulp but I have friends who use it in baking.  I do find it
helpful to actually strain it in two batches....that way I get more of
the liquid out.

Since I've gotten *so* fast at it, it only takes me a few minutes to
make....I make it about every other day and keep it in a quart jar in
the fridge.  I wouldn't keep it past 48hours.You can also use it on
cereal if you do cereal, baking, rice pudding, etc....it subs just like
dairy milk in all cooking.

7.  Trader Joe's, Savory Thins rice crackers and eat them with
peanut butter for snacks. Mix buckwheat with grits I cook 1/3 cup with a
little over 1 cup of milk(sub), cook for 4 minutes, stir, cook another
30 sec's. Also, Crunch ems.  They are kindof like Corn Chex but g/f.
Poconos Cream of Buckwheat- add  blueberries or figs.

8.  Meat.  I often eat a small piece of leftover meat for
breakfast...steak, burger, chicken, etc.  Cold or warmed up, which ever
you prefer. Nuts are always easy to keep on hand too.

9.  GF waffles in the morning, I get them at my healthfood store around
the corner here.  I also use Karo Syrup, if you can get past the fact
that it is clear, it tastes just like regular syrup! :)  Maybe some
fruit, that is good for you.  Like a fruit salad or somesort?

10.  light granola from Bette Hagman's More From the Gluten-Free
Gourmet.  It has corn flakes but you could substitute a different flake
or leave them out.

11.  muffins I make from Pamela's gf baking mix.  Pancakes are great
from it, too.I also make rice krispie treats from rice cereal I get from
energy foods.

Scrambled eggs are good and I make gravy using cornstarch and nondairy
milk (Farm Rich brand)I make biscuits from 'Cause You're Special biscuit
mix.

12.  make your own granola.  Edenblend(soy/rice) beverage for rice
cereals(hot or cold) or Pacific almond vanilla beverage.  The original
is not gf.

13.  I have an apple with peanut butter every day.

14.  Arrowhead Mills Rice and Shine

15.  beans and sweet brown rice, with red onion and garlic freshly
chopped on it.   avocado.dried beans, like pinto, black, navy, white,
etc.  Keep in the freezer and thaw to use in smaller amounts.  Eat with
rice, chopped vegetables, onions..Leftover fish from the night before,
or tuna.I often make a container with rice, lettuce, chopped vegetables,
garlic, onion,shredded chicken that I cooked myself, fresh herbs from
the garden, olive oil.

Are you familiar with a sweet brown rice?  I only find it at Whole
Foods,  and much better than regular brown rice, made with chicken broth
in the rice cooker.  It tastes like a creamy risotto.I have found the
trick is not to think "breakfast", but just think food that you like and
is healthy.  Not necessarily traditional breakfast.  How about some kind
of soup made from things you can eat?

16.  Kasha -It's buckwheat (which is gf)

17.  Cooked brown rice (white rice has so few nutrients and the brown
adds the fiber we need)- you can fix it the night before and refrigerate
it.In the morning, I pour a little coconut milk over my serving of rice
and warm it in the microwave. The coconut milk is just slightly sweet,
non-dairy, gf,but rich (use sparingly if you have high cholesterol).You
can add fruit, a dash of cinnamin (sp?), a bit of honey, any nuts you
can tolerate. (You can find coconut milk in a hf store in the ethnic
foods for Chinese, or even perhaps in the grocery store - comes in a
can)