From:
Cliff Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cliff Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:20:59 +0000

Here is the calzone summary.  I tried to send it once before, but it never
showed up.  Sorry for the delay.  Thanks for the ideas and Bon Appetit.

Michelle Azimov
Ventura, CA

****
Chebe mix should not be sticky unless you are adding more water than they
tell
you to.  the trick is to use only the 1/3 cup of water and to work the dough
with your hands to get it mixed in, it is tempting to add more water but
don't
do it!  I make calzones with the chebe and it is awesome and beautiful!

****
I use Chebe all the time. If it is a little sticky, I just use a little corn
starch on the roller. It took several tries, but it is my kids favorite
meal. I do put a lot of shredded cheese in the mix and knead it for awhile
before I roll it out. I use a plastic French mat to roll it out and add
garlic and Italian spices to the dough.

****
I have never made calzones GF or otherwise.  But, I do use the chebe mix
with some regularity.  I find it very easy to work with.  But every now and
again it is sticky.  I find if I add just a little more water it becomes
pliable and easy to use.

****
Gillian's pizza dough (frozen section) or frozen bread dough work great!

****
I use my regular bread dough and spread a spoonful flat on a cookie sheet.
Put any filling inside (I use chicken, mushrooms, mozzarella, olives, onions
and ranch dressing)  Spread some more dough over the top, smoothing all
around the edges with a watered down hand.  Brush with egg yolk.  Rise and
bake till browned and bubbly.

****
Calzone recipe

1/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1 egg, lightly beaten.

In a large bowl, combine the above ingredients.
Shape in Calzones, and bake in preheated oven
350 F 20 minutes.  Let cool completely.

****
In Bette Hagman’s ‘The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread’ there is a wonder
mix recipe, French Bread Mix.  Use the Crusty French Rolls recipe.   From
there you can make pizza, rolls, bread sticks, bagels, and I spice it up and
shake my chicken in it for oven fried or pan fried chicken without having to
egg it up first.  I buy flour in large quanties when I can.  I mix up lots
and then batch it out for double pizza and make 3 large pizza's and some
rolls when I cook.  I found that the roll mix recipe works best with a
little less water and added flour mix or potato starch or tapioca starch
used to roll out on well greased surface or use plastic wrap greased and
then you can flip half over the ingredients.

I've use my, I don't know what to call it but it is round and when you push
the top it cuts out the (bread) I use it on the dough into a circle and will
seal if there are two pieces together and the filling inside, almost like a
large ravioli.

This was the best experiment and I have done it several more times, I did
the pizza ones for those who could do cheese/pepperoni/sauce.  Ham and sauce
for us others who can't do cheese/pepperoni.

The plastic wrap works best to roll it out on, just grease it a bit, we tend
to use palm oil, it works well for us who can't do corn/dairy/soy.  I use a
tart roller from PamperChef.  Using a bit of water and a fork will seal the
edges.

I let them raise a bit and cook them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and see
if they are golden if not cook 5 to 10 more minutes, the pizza and rolls all
cook for 20 minutes.

The differences in the recipes are for pizza no baking powder and more
vinegar/dough enhancer compared to the French bread rolls and bread sticks.

****
****