From:
Darlene Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:48:38 -0500

02/26/08

Hello, I recently saw this cake on Everyday Baking and modified it with GF
flour. Much to my surprise it was successful. Here's the recipe

Ingredients  (listed fractions as decimals as formatting often problem on
ListServ)

0.5 cup olive oil plus more for pan

2 large eggs

1 cup sugar, plus 0.33 cup for topping

0.5 c orange juice (or dry white wine, I used juice)

1.25 cup GF flour (I used GF Pantry French bread mix)

0.5 cup yellow cornmeal (with self rising meal reduced baking powder to 1.5
tsp and salt to 0.5 tsp)

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

Finely grated zest of 1 orange

Orange segments, for serving optional

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 deg. Brush bottom and sides of 8-inch round cake pan
with oil; line bottom with parchment paper, and brush paper with oil.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, 1 cup sugar, and juice until
smooth. Add GF flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Whisk
gently to combine.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan;sprinkle top evenly with 0.33 cup sugar
(topping will be thick, I used sifter to spread sugar). Bake until cake
begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted in center comes
out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.

4. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert cake
gently onto a plate, and remove parchment paper. Reinvert cake onto a rack
to cool completely. Serve with orange segments.

The recipe was easy and he cake was tasty, good texture, next evening after
storing in refrigerator cake still moist (I did zap piece in microwave 30
sec). I'll have to let you know how it does after freezing.

Regards,

Darlene

Savannah, GA