From:
Gluten-Free Trading Co. <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:41:51 -0500

This is one of those "one word, two meanings" problems.

As we usually use the word on this list, "gluten" means the protein
found in wheat, rye, barley and maybe oats.  More specifically the
problem for celiacs is gliadin, a specific fraction of the gluten.
Since the term "gluten-free" came into use before the discovery of
the relationship between gliadin and celiac disease, it doesn't seem
likely that the terminology will change anytime soon (the French do
use it - "exempte de gliadine" is the usual phrase).

The confusion comes from another, more generic use of the word
"gluten".  This is the protein fraction of ANY grain.  Since every
grain has some protein, we get phrases like "corn gluten" and
"glutinous rice", which probably ought to be called
"increased-protein rice."   Since these grains do not contain
gliadin, they are safe for celiacs and thus "gluten-free" for the
purposes of the celiac diet.

So the next time you're thinking about what to make for dessert, how
about a bowl of glutinous rice, topped with some honey and cream (or
your favorite milk substitute).  It's gluten-free!!

Hope this helps.

--John Shaw