From:
shinma 1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:29:34 PST

I contacted The Spice Hunter via email last night (Dec 15) and received the
following disheartening yet prompt reply.  Thankfully, this company has a
clear understanding of what gluten is.

-------------------------------
Thank you  for your e-mail regarding the Gluten Free diet that you are
restricted to.

A number of people are gluten intolerant and cannot  ingest anything
that contains wheat or other grain glutens.   Although our spices and
blends have no additives, they may contain trace amounts of gluten, as
they are run through the same machines as our pastas and other grain
products.  Yes, the machines are thoroughly cleaned after use, but we
cannot guarantee that minute traces do not remain.  As far as adding
ingredients, they are all listed on the jars. There is nothing hidden in
them.

If you are able to tolerate trace amounts of gluten, then our products
may be what you want.  You may want to check with your physician to see
what you can have.

Sincerely,
Gretchen
Spice Hunter
Consumer Relations

If anyone knows where to find hard to find whole spices that are gf, please
let me know.  The Spice Hunter was the only commercial company I had found
so far that carried whole, hard to find, spices.

angie (los angeles)