Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 01:41:39 -0500

Does anyone know of diseases that mimic dermatitis herpetiformis?

I keep hearing on this list that DH should be an obvious diagnosis,
but it doesn't seem to be obvious to dermatologists in the US.

>From the report of the Coelic Symposium - 1:
> Dr. Collin (of Finland) went on to remark that the incidence
> of DH, which is an obvious condition, has been stable and
> unchanging over the years"

To the contrary, I've heard of various people with DH being misdiagnosed
for many years as having:

  psoriasis.
  adult acne.
  photosensitivity.
  contact dermatitis to fabric dyes or household chemicals.
  insect bites.
  etc.

None of these diagnoses seem to me to take into account the characteristic
DH fiery itch or symmetry. Am I missing something?

Martha Newton
Los Angeles