From:
Hal Grotevant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 21:06:01 -0500

Roy Hall wrote:

>With regard to dapsone side effects, when I
>was first diagnosed with DH, some 25 years ago, I was prescribed sulphur
>piridine (M&B 693 trade name) and this drug was effective in releaving
>symptoms. However, the potential effects on the kidneys was always a
>worry. I wonder if Dermatologists ever use sulphur piridine as an
>alternative to dapsone for those who have a more severe reaction to the
>latter, especially for short term treatment after the commencement of the
>GF diet?

To Roy and list members:
I have been on dapsone for almost 5 years (and am working to get off, with
the support, encouragement, and information provided on this list.)
Dermatologists (at least mine) do still consider using sulphur piridine as
an alternative to dapsone. One of dapsone's side effects for me is a
dramatic lowering of the white blood count, and the doctor has told me now
several times that if my count goes any lower, he'll have to take me off
dapsone and try sulphur piridine. Fortunately, the count has stayed
remarkably stable (albeit low), so I haven't had to switch.  I believe he
said it is difficult to obtain, but we never had to pursue it seriously, so
I'm not sure.
Hope this information helps. In the meantime, I'm eating GF and gradually
working down the dapsone dosage.
Hal Grotevant,  St. Paul, Minnesota