From:
Michele Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michele Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:59:28 -0700

Hello,

I am looking for a few people in the SE Denver or Aurora area who would
be interested in sharing buying trips to Out of the Breadbox, a
gluten-free bakery in Colorado Springs. I drove down a few weeks ago
and sampled a few items. Their cinnamon raisin bread is good. (Haven't
had that cinnamon-baked smell in a long time.!) I have another friend
who is also interested. If we had a group of 4 - 6 we could alternate
driving on monthly trips. The owner of the bakery says the bread
freezes well for about a month.

Also, tonight I had a grand evening at a restaurant kitchen in Jeffco,
preparing gluten-free meals to take home and freeze.  Three women have
begun this business of opening their breakfast and lunch only
commercial kitchen to people who want to assemble meals in the
evenings. They prepare a menu of 12 items (each dish feeds 4 - 6) and
you pick 12 of the items you want to make (You can have 3 of one dish,
none of another, etc. ) and they do all the grocery shopping, the
chopping and the cleaning up afterwards! You take the meals, package
them, clearly labeled with cooking directions, and put them in your
freezer. It is wonderful. The women are familiar with gluten free
needs, and they were very helpful when I asked about ingredients, etc.
I brought my own bread crumbs, soy sauce, etc. and they made sure I had
clean utensils. There were only two pasta dishes, and one bread pudding
that I couldn't make. All the measuring cups, utensils, etc., are kept
separate for each dish, and the dishes are assembled in "stations."
There is no cooking involved. Most items are main courses. It's $165
for 12 hearty main courses that serve 6. They can only accomodate 12
people at a time (It is a small kitchen) I thought it would be fun if
they came up with a "gluten-free menu"  night and we could go up and
fix some new and exciting things for our families. Let me know if you
would be interested. It is a new business and they are still trying out
recipes and such. Next month they will offer a GF Mexican lasagna, and
Aztec shrimp, and lots of other dishes we can eat. It is great fun and
takes the drudgery out of cooking GF.

Michele Rice
Aurora, CO