Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:36:06 -0400

 Here are some of  the replies to how fast children start gaining height and weight after going GF..... It is amazing how fast things start to heal.

Quite a few adults had written to say that they began to gain weight very soon after going GF also.

I beleive this weight gain is normal. Once my daughter was completely GF she
gained ten pounds in a very raped amount of time.

My son was diagnosed in January. We didn't go gluten free until the middle
of February, due to the fact that his doctor wanted to do an endoscopy.
He is 11 years old and the size of a small 7 year old, he has gained at
least 7 lbs and GROWN 2 1/2 inches since going gluten free.

My son was diagnosed at 20 months. I saw a difference within a week of
him starting a GF diet, including weight gain.

My 2.5 year old had not gained weight for almost a year! After going gluten
free she has gained 3 lbs. in less than 6 months. She had gained almost 2
lbs. in the first 2 months! She also had dental enamel hypoplasia which
seemed to be miraculously "cured" in the first 2 months of going
free. Her dentist said he had NEVER seen any one get better from it

My daughter, age 11, gained 4 pounds in the first 2 gf months or so, and grew one inch

My son, 7 years and 35 pounds, gaines 3 pounds after being gf for 3 weeksglutenmy daughter (4 now, 2 1/2 at diagnosis) who had lost her ability to walk was up and running in 3 days. It works FAST

Just about the time the start looking a bit meatier, they will shoot up an inch or two & be thinner than there were before! It seems that growing height is more important to the body than gaining weight. He will also use up calories being more active than he was before.

Yes, my 3 1/2 year old put on 4 pounds within 6 weeks of going GF. It is an
amazing difference. I am surprised at how fast she is healing.

When my celiac son went gf two and a half years ago, he put weight on before his growth picked up. He's not heavy now, and never was, but the weight gain came before the height gain. FYI, he's now 16 1/2 years old, and he's grown seven inches n the last two years. He used to be MUCH shorter than all his peers. Now he's just on the short side, and he's still growing

He grew almost 4" in
6 mos. Can you imagine? Many, if not most, kids do recover their
weight and height fairly rapidly, as they heal more quickly and start
growing and gaining to make up for lost time.
It is not your imagination but true. He will be healthier and happier and it does happen fast. You will be able to tell minute ingestions of gluten with behavior differences sometimes. And yes, he should even catch up with his normal growth chart.

Thank you to all who replied

Monica,Ky.