From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:30:32 EST

Hi there-

I inquired several weeks ago about the gluten status of the Callard and
Bowser Licorice Toffees, and received a few responses from list members on
where to look to get a manufacturer phone number, and several inquiries on
where to find the product.

A few people recommended that I go to www.celiacdatabase.org.  This is a
great site where you can type in a bar code from a product and it's gluten
status will appear if it is in the database.  This particular licorice toffee
was not in the database, however, the company address and phone number were
there.  Strangely, this site said that Callard and Bowser was a subsidiary of
Kraft Foods, and the web site given, (www.callardandbowser.com) was for Kraft
Foods and made no mention of Callard and Bowser.

I spoke with a Pat at Callard and Bowser Suchard, in Rye NY, (914-335-8400),
and she said that the company does not have a letter on file as to the gluten
status, and does not have a gluten free list of their products.  She was,
however, familiar with gluten intolerance.

I was concerned about the "licorice extract" and "natural flavoring"
ingredients, and Pat told me that these are proprietary and since
manufacturer's ingredients can change, she couldn't tell me whether a wheat
based alcohol was used for the extract, or whether any wheat, rye, barley, or
oat product was used in the natural flavoring.

With all this said, she advised that I should NOT eat this product.
Ironically, she went on to ask  whether or not I wanted to be included on
their mailing list with special product promotions.

Thanks so much for your help.

-Joany

Joany Janicki, Washington DC