From:
Kristin Breen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristin Breen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 16:24:13 -0400

Hi all,

I went to college in Williamsburg, but haven't really been back much since
being diagnosed with celiac four years. Well, a couple weeks ago, our family
visited there and I really wanted my children to experience dining at one of
the colonial taverns down on Duke of Gloucester Street. I hadn't really seen
any info on how GF-friendly they are, but we decided to try it anyway.

We tried Chownings because it was the only one that is first-come, first-serve
and we couldn't get reservations anywhere else. I wasn't very optimistic that
I would be able to eat anything, but figured I would snack on the peanuts
they set out and drink wine to tide me over :)

I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. The waitress actually knew what
gluten was and verified with the kitchen that the Brunswick stew is thickened
with cornstarch, not flour. The stew also comes with cornbread on the side
that is NOT GF. The meal was decent, although small portions as it is
considered light fare. I usually avoid eating out at most restaurants, but felt
comfortable with our waitress and did not get sick.

Those with young children will especially enjoy it as they have what is called
Gambols - "a lively nighttime program. Balladeers rouse guests in period sing-
alongs, and costumed servers play popular games of the day." That goes from
5 - 8 p.m. From 8 p.m. until closing, Chowning’s caters to a more mature
audience.

During really busy times (which is a good portion of the year), the staff
suggest arriving no later than 4:30.

We never did find out if any of the other taverns are GF-friendly, but they
may be.

Hope that helps someone who would like to dine in the colonial area.