Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:29:53 EDT

Hello List Members,

Over 35 responded to my inquiry about ketchup, and Heinz ketchup in
particular.  They said they use Heinz and that it is gluten free.  (A  few noted that
if vinegar is a concern for some, research has concluded that it  is fine for
celiacs -- this according to Gluten Free Living and other  sources).

Only two questioned Heinz becaue of various ingredients.

The following is from the Heinz website (included in the archives):

Where can I find gluten-free products?
Heinz Ketchup does not  contain any gluten (the distilled vinegar used is
from corn sources). Also, Wine  Vinegar, Distilled White Vinegar and Apple Cider
Vinegar are gluten-free. Please  note that Apple Cider Flavored Vinegar is not
gluten-free.
Heinz Hot & Spicy Ketchup Kick'rs is gluten-free as well. As for our  other
Heinz products, we are not able to guarantee that all ingredients would be
gluten-free, since the source of an ingredient may change from time to time. We
understand how difficult it can be finding foods that meet the requirements of
a  restricted diet, and we continue to look for ways to meet the dietary
needs of  our consumers.
Is EZ Squirt gluten-free?
Yes, as Heinz Tomato Ketchup is  gluten-free.
To continue:
7 use Del Monte brand ketchup
5 use Muir Glen (organic, no corn syrup)
1 uses Hunt's, although another questioned Hunt's.  (I searched the  archives
and the Hunt's website today but did not find a reference to gluten  free
products.)
Also mentioned were Seeds of Change and Safeway brands as being gluten  free.

One said "label brands" at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods contain gluten.
Perhaps more research needed here.
Thanks so much for the replies!!
Roselyn