From:
C. Hammelrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 23:18:19 -0700

Guess I did not make myself clear,... I shall try again .. sorry about
that.

I can translate, I speak Spanish, it is a second language for me.
Translation is very tedious and takes a lot of time, something none of
us has a lot of it seems these days!  The translation service is pitiful
... I fear, upon reading it myself, that she might be even more
confused.  Her English is quite good, actually, so she can read in
English, but Spanish would reassure her much more.

What Marina needs is a Mexican with celiac with whom she can
commiserate.  It is difficult being in a foreign land, a foreign
language, and have an unheard of disorder, to have already suffered a
plethora of miserable tests that led no where, .... etc.  We all know
the routine, we have done it too.  Only I at least did it at home, in my
first language.  I have lived in a foreign land, and my biggest fear was
getting ill and needing serious care.  And I speak the language.  She
needs to read about celiac disease in her mother tongue, she is very
anemic and the doc is giving her iron shots ... she is concerned about
that and I cannot address that one, never had the experience.. other
than the anemia.

I will list the replies:

1.  "Contact the mormon church in your area.  They have so many people
that have gone on missions to Spanish speaking areas and they will
direct you to someone that can translate the instructions for her."

2.  " The Celiac Disease Foundation is the right place for her as
Elaine's assistant is Hispanic and fluent in Spanish and will answer any
and all questions.  Her name is Carol and she usually answers the
phone.  Interestingly, in the past few months, there have been several
contacts from Spanish speaking people who have been diagnosed.  CDF is
in the process of translating their quick start food guide and brochure
into Spanish." Marina did speak to someone there but she did not tell me
whether the conversation was in Sp. or Eng.  I will ask her.  She also
joined, GOOD!

3.   "I'm so sorry for your friend but ... living in the US she will
have to learn english like everyone else have her take classes that's
really the most kindness  one can give, may not sound like it but in the
long haul it is."  She speaks pretty good English, and reads it.

4.   And several sent the email for the translation service, which is
very badly done.  Translation is a separate discipline that must be
studied thoroughly to be well done, and altho a machine can put together
something that is,... well....ok.... that is not the answer for my lady
here.  I will keep working with her

Thanks to all for your time and effort = Catherine