From:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
amy burkhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 16:36:29 -1000

Thanks to all who replied. Here is the summary for the future for anyone
else who may be heading that direction. Amy

*I have a friend who lives on Orcas Island.  I was surprised and amazed
to find many gluten free foods available at the local supermarket.  Two
very nice, upscale restaurants that I imagine would be accomodating to
the diet are Christine's (on Orcas) and on San Juan,  a restaurant
called something like "the little place next to the ferry"  (and guess
what, it's next to the ferry).  For more casual choices on Orcas try a
sweet little carry-out place called "The Asian Kitchen", a mexican place
called Bilbo's, or a tex-mex place called Chimayos.

*San Juan Island:  DownRigger in Friday Harbor, Duck Soup Inn nearer to
Roche, both restaurants at Roche Harbor.  Orcas - Rosario Resort.  All
restaurants in the islands have been very accommodating to me. Just tell
them your needs.

*Do not go to Outrigger on San Juan..go to Vinnie's on San Juan .  I am
there now and went to both.  Outrigger doesn't get it.

*Hey, I was there over Christmas and went to the mexican restaurant on
Orcas Island. I forget the name. They were *most accomodating* of my
diet. Many of the "american" sandwichy type places were unable to make
anything beyond a salad for me. There was also a natural foods market on
Orcas that had a lot of things I could eat :) These were all in
Eastsound. I have also gone to the one little restaurant in "OLGA" on
orcas-- they have a limited menu but were very knowledgable about what I
could and could not eat (and it was also delicious).