From:
David & Susan Esterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 18:10:32 +1300

Well, I am trying to make a sensible posting summarising all the replies I go.
First of all, it's apparent that an increase in weight immediately after
going GF is common and not at all surprising to any of us.

What is of concern to most of us is how to stabilise the increase at a level
which is acceptable not only to us but also to our GPS.

Some helpful suggestions deal with the proportion of carbohydrates in our
diets, and that these are high in sugar - so if the diet we maintain post
diagnosis is much the same as that before, minus the gluten, then we're in
for problems.

Obviously things to check out individually are thryoid, one's metabolic
rate, diabetes as there is a link between some forms of diabetes (that info
from Kemp Randolph, thank you!). And the dreaded exercise. Someone mentioned
a special diet which works well with a GF diet, and I thought I'd copied it
into this mail but can;t find it, so will send it again when i do locate it.

So the short answer seems to be: watch carbos, sugars, do try and exercise
and know that there are lots of us in the same boat!
Thanks to everyone who posted, it has been a great support to me, and I feel
much more postive about dealing with my extra kgs now.

Thanks again
Sue