From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:13:19 -0600

Hi all -

I saw Fran's email about recipes that have made a difference in quality of
life. I've posted a few of my recipes here, but it's been a while - so here
they are again. If you'd like to reprint these recipes outside of the
CELIAC list, please email me about it first. Thanks!

Chris Silker
Minneapolis MN

----------------------------
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chris Silker

3/4 cup butter/margarine
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c white sugar
2 tsp gf vanilla (or so - I just kinda dump it in there...) - the powder
doesn't work so well
2 eggs
1 c sweet rice flour (my rice and tapioca flours are from an Oriental market)
1 c rice flour
1/4 c tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum (can decrease this a bit if the dough seems too stiff)
1 c chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs and mix well. Add dry
ingredients and mix well. Add chocolate chips.

Bake for about 10 min at 350F, or until the edges are just starting to turn
golden brown. Do NOT overbake. Let sit for a few minutes on the cookie
sheet so they can set. These cookies don't warm up well in the microwave -
they get a bit crumbly. Also, I tend to bake a pan at a time and keep the
rest of the dough in the fridge, as these cookies dry out faster than the
traditional kind.
----------------------------
One-Bowl Flourless Chocolate Cake
Chris Silker

4 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c butter or margarine
3/4 c sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa

Grease a 7- or 8-inch springform pan or round pan. Line bottom with a
circle of wax or parchment paper and grease paper.

Break chocolate into pieces and put with butter or margarine into a
microwave-safe bowl that will be big enough to ultimately hold all the
ingedients. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave until chocolate and
butter are melted, being careful not to burn them! In my microwave, it
takes no more than a minute and a half.

Remove from microwave. Stir until chocolate and butter are well mixed. Add
sugar and mix well. Add eggs and mix well. Sift cocoa onto mix and stir
until just mixed.

Put in greased pan. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until top has formed a
thin crust. Cool cake for 5 minutes, then invert onto a plate.

Topping options after cake has cooled:
- Perhaps a chocolate glaze (haven't tried one on it)
- Sift some unsweetened cocoa or sweet ground chocolate onto cake, then
sprinkle with cinnamon
----------------------------
Gluten-Free Double Fudge Saucepan Brownies
Chris Silker

2T butter/margarine
2T water
1/2 cup sugar

Mix the above in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the
mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat. Add

6 oz (1 cup) gf semisweet chocolate chips

and stir until the chips are melted. Add

1 tsp gf vanilla (I've never tried the powder)
2 slightly beaten eggs

and mix well. Add

2/3 c gf flour or mix (I just use brown rice of garfava)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum

and mix well. Stir in 6 oz (1 cup) gf chocolate chips, mix well, and pour
into a greased 9" square pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F. Do not
overbake! If you wait until a toothpick comes out clean or the edges pull
away from the side, they'll be too done. I usually take them out at about
20-22 minutes.

These brownies are VERY rich. You can substitute double chocolate chips for
the semisweet if you want your brownies to be even more decadent. These are
always a hit at parties. The brownies will be crumbly when warm, but
they're quite cohesive when they cool.
----------------------------
Snickerdoodles
Chris Silker

1 c. butter
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt
2 3/4 c. GF flour mix [note from Chris - I used 1/4 c tapioca flour, 1 1/4
c sweet rice flour, and 1 1/4 c rice flour (from an Oriental market) - it
worked perfectly]

Beat together butter, sugar, eggs. Stir dry ingred. together and slowly add
to butter mixture. Chill dough. Roll into walnut size balls and roll in mix
of 2 Tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon. Place 2" apart on cookie sheet. Bake
at 350* until barely browned but still soft, approx. 10-12 min. They puff
up at first, then flatten when cooling with crinkled tops.