From:
Richard Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 10:51:53 -0700

Originally, I wrote:
>I will be visiting New Hampshire next week, and I'd like some
>pointers to gluten-free eating.  I will be visiting the following
>cities:
>Manchester
>Salem
>Hampton
>Tilton
>Laconia

I got several responses, summarized below.

As it turns out, the only restaurant I went to was an Outback Steakhouse in
Manchester the night of arrival.  The waitress and staff were very
accommodating.  Most of the rest of the meals were at houses of my sister
and a friend.  Both of them were very mindful of my condition, checking
with me about everything they proposed to serve.  The first night at my
sister's, she BBQed a whole lot of chicken breasts, plain with no BBQ
sauce.  That evening and the next, she gave me a chicken piece to take to
the motel for breakfast the next day.  (Her house is too small for guests.)

I ate some meals in the car, with food purchased from health food stores (I
stopped at the A Market in Manchester twice.)

The main reason for the trip was a yearly reunion luncheon of retirees from
my Company.  They had 3 entrees, none of which I could eat: breaded fish,
chicken parmesan with bread crumbs, and  beef burgundy with brown sauce
containing flour.  I went to the luncheon knowing I could not eat the
entrees, just so I could renew acquaintances with the 135 fellow workers
present.  But I had extra helpings of salad, green beans and ice cream
desert, and a GF snack afterwards.

Richard in Nevada

--------

>I would check the Whole Food website to find out where you NH there stores
>are. It is a small state, so wherever the store is you can get there without
>too  much driving. Eating fish in the region is always a good idea.

No Whole Foods or Wild Oats in NH.  Probably too small a population
density.

--------

--------

--------

>I don't live in NH anymore, but I know that Shaw's Supermarkets have a great
>gluten free food section.

Yes.  I bought some stuff there.

--------

--------