From:
Linda Mccarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:36:50 -0400

I believe my 11-year old daughter has Celiac disease.  I put her on the
gf-diet on Jan. 13, 2001.  The question I have is:  Do people have the same
reaction when they ingest a little bit of gluten and when they ingest a lot
of gluten?

I thought my daughter's reaction time was 24 hours.  A few times things
would happen and she would get a small amount of gluten (like when someone
gave her a hamburger that was taken off a hamburger bun because they didn't
know any better) and exactly 24 hours later she would have bad abdominal
pain and diarrhea.  Well, on Thursday my daughter ate a 1/2 bagel from one
of her friends at school around 11:00 am.  I figured Friday around 11:00 am
she would be calling from the nurse's office with abdominal pain and
diarrhea.  Well, all that happened on Friday was she woke up with a little
bit of abdominal pain.  This, of course, threw me for a loop.  I didn't
understand it.  Well Sunday, Monday and Tuesday she has been home "sick"
with no fever, swollen glands in her neck, sore throat, abdominal pain and
headache.  I believe this is from the gluten, but I hate to blame everything
on gluten.  These are the same symptoms she would have about every 2 weeks
when she was not on the gluten-free diet.

So I was just wondering if there is a difference in reactions between a
small amount of gluten and a large amount of gluten.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me to help me resolve this new
mystery.  Just when I think I have this whole thing figured out, something
comes along and confuses me.

Thanks!

Linda