From:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:50:51 -0400

Perhaps it will be useful to have this information about 'Passover Flour'
 which was mentioned in a question about Savion noodles.

Passover Flour is usually matzah  ground up. It is often described as
matzah meal if coarse and matzah cake meal or flour if  fine. As most Jews
in the United States follow the European convention, they do not eat any
thing made from corn, rice or beans, as well as not eating  the wheat, rye,
barley, oats and spelt. As most firms follow these conventions. I can't
imagine that a gluten free ingredient as a flour exists if you rule all of
these out, except for potato starch- which is usually named. I am pretty
sure it must be something derived from matzah which of course is made of
wheat. If you want a gluten free baking product the only thing left is
potato starch. My mother used to make a delicious sponge cake out of potato
starch. Since there are many good noodle and spaghetti products made for
celiacs, I would avoid many of the Passover products unless I was certain
of the ingredients. Foods made with no matzah are described as non-gebrokt
if you are dealing with a kosher firm.

Irma