Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 17:58:25 -0500

Subject: Any legislation for nursing homes?

I have a very real concern and would like some definite information.
As a preface to my query, I remind the list that we celiacs seem to be
held responsible for our own well-being.We are encouraged to
learn all we can, so we can impart the information to professionals.
They, conversely, might well charge us a fee for giving them the
lessons. We must be knowledgeable in stores, restaurants, etc.

If any of us make it to extreme old age, what are our protections in
nursing homes and such if we lose the ability to care for ourselves? No
institution or profession seems to show much respect for Celiac Disease.
Indeed, we are castigated for even inferring that some consideration in
diet, nutrition, and labeling should be shown. Other medical conditions
get lots of government support. Are there any laws to protect helpless
celiacs from being slowly poisoned in institutions?

My forebears lived long lives. Should I emulate them, I would like to
know what my chances for decent care would be! I hope this questioning
seems reasonable. I seem to be thought irascible when I manifest any
curiosity.AMS