From:
Rosalie Peipert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 13:12:52 EDT

Thanks so much for your replies..
                Magnesium aspartate is an organic salt of bioavailable
magnesium and the amino acid aspartic acid. Aspartame, commonly known as
NutraSweet® brand sweetener, is a combination of the amino acids aspartic
acid and phenylalanine. Therefore, they both contain aspartic acid if that
is the person's concern.

I searched google and found that aspartate is in the same family as MSG and
that celiacs are sensitive to it. I don't know if I am but evidently I am coz
I do not eat anything with aspartate, MSG or aspartic acid and certainly no
aspartame. Gee, you learn something new every day, I've been on this diet for
30 years. I am more intolerant than I thought as I grow older.

More about Magnesium
Forms of Magnesium
After looking into magnesium for months, what I came away with is that
magnesium comes in two types:
- soluble forms/organic (aspartate, malate, glycinate, citrate and succinate
etc.)
- insoluble forms/inorganic salts (chloride, carbonate, oxide).

Overall, the chelated magnesium and magnesium glycinate are often referred to
as
being very absorbable.

The soluble ones are pretty equally absorbed and as a group are much better
absorbed than the insoluble group. Of the insoluble group, the oxide is the
best absorbed. The insoluble group is far more likely to cause loose
stools/diarrhea than the other group. If magnesium nutrition is what you
want,
go for the soluble group. If constipation is the issue, then some insoluble
forms are okay. The loose stool effect (if not wanted) can be minimized by
taking the magnesium with food.

Most of the products I saw on the shelves at the store were a mixture of
magnesium types. Sometimes I would see a bottle of a specific type of
magnesium, such as Magnesium Citrate. But the ones marked just Magnesium were

usually a mixture. And some had as many as 4-5 different types in the
mixture.

Although I have spent some time looking at magnesium sources, there seems to
be
varied opinions. Here is a reputable source from a book on nutrition:

"Magnesium chelated with amino acids is probably the most absorbable form.
Less
absorbable forms include magnesium bicarbonate, magnesium oxide, and
magnesium
carbonate. Magnesium oxide is probably somewhat better than magnesium
carbonate
(dolomite). The newly available salts of magnesium aspartate or citrate, both

known as mineral transporters, have a better percentage of absorption."

<A HREF="http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=2060">http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=2060</A>

What chelate form means:
"Magnesium Chelate (Amino Acid): A chemically reacted magnesium ion, bound to

1 or more amino acids, thus allowing the magnesium to enter through the
intestinal wall via the amino acid pathway rather than active magnesium
diffusion. A true reacted chelate differs from simply mixing the amino acids
and minerals which is often referred to as "chelated"."

Sources of Aspartate, aspartame and aspartic acid
 Aspartic acid, found in aspartame (NutraSweet) ordinarily causes MSG type
reactions in MSG sensitive people
 Aspartame (Nutrasweet), aspartic acid,aspartate are used to sweeten many
prepared foods, as a tabletop sweetener, sources include:
 cocoa mix, topping mix
 yogurt-type products
 shake mix
 cereal