From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:59:08 EST

:                                                           :
:  Excerpts from the Greater Philadelphia CS Support Group  :
:  -------------------------------------------------------  :
: newsletter: Mar. 2000     Phyllis J. Brogden, chairperson :
: newsletter: Oct. 2000                    6318 Farmar Lane :
:                                      Flourtown, PA  19031 :
:...........................................................:

Brighten the Lives of Others and Yourself
by Nancy Patin Falini, MA, RD

Do you need something to "lift" your spirits or a good reason to use
some of the "gifts" that were given you by your creator?  How about
volunteering?!  Have you ever heard the expression "We are not meant
to be an island?"  Well, this can certainly apply to volunteerism.  To
live full, vibrant lives we need each other.  Volunteering oneself is
believed to improve self esteem and confidence, while enhancing the
quality of life for both the person volunteering and the ones(s)
receiving the volunteer service.  One source I read even said
volunteering actually extends the life of the one volunteering.  Let's
face it:  When we can make a difference (even a small difference) in
someone else's life it brightens our own life.  Another fringe benefit
is being a volunteer can make a resume or curriculum vitae look more
attractive.  So come on, let's start off the new year by volunteering!
So you may ask, "What can I do"?  The intent of this article is not
necessarily a "sales pitch" to acquire more volunteers for our support
group, although that certainly can be one benefit.

Here are some ideas of volunteering in the celiac world, then more for
the general community are to come.  Two heads are better than one!
Share your practical experiences for coping with celiac disease by
writing them into an article that can be printed in a celiac support
group newsletter.  For example, if you have had a positive experience
dining out include information, such as the name of the restaurant,
names(s) of employees who helped accommodate your dietary challenges,
and the gluten free menu items made available to you.  Form or be on a
committee that mails educational materials on celiac disease to
physicians, registered dietitians, other pertinent health care
providers, and/or food service departments of educational
institutions; such as those in colleges and universities.  (There are
some great materials already produced and available from Gluten Free
Living, national support groups, and even some gluten free vendors).
Through phone conversations, provide moral support, a list of local
stores that sell gluten-free products, and the names of some of your
favorite foods to the newly-diagnosed and to those frustrated with an
extensive recovery period.  Host play dates for celiac children and/or
gluten-free baking and/or cooking sessions (where each person can
contribute ingredients to defray costs) for children, adolescents
and/or adults.  You may even want to turn this event into a party.

The above volunteer ideas may be more easily facilitated through some
type of network system, such as a support group.  However, if there is
not a support group in your area you can start one or contact a
national one to learn about possible volunteer opportunities that can
be done form a distance.  Also, you can volunteer your time by
offering to baby-sit for a celiac child and/or volunteer at a daycare
where a celiac child attends.  If you know of anyone doing celiac
research or working on a written project, such as a newsletter,
perhaps you can do the typing for them.  Offer to grocery shop for an
elderly celiac or for any celiac who for their own extenuating
circumstances could benefit.  Designate one day a week or month that
while cooking your own gluten free meal you make enough to bring to a
celiac who lives alone, is elderly, or is sick.  Contact a local
hospital to inquire about volunteer opportunities and perhaps you can
eventually contribute to the celiac knowledge of the hospital food
service.

To inquire about volunteer opportunities in the general community
start by contacting your local church, synagogue, health department,
or any organization in which you have an interest in serving.  Do you
speak, read, and/or write a foreign language?  Even if you are not
fluent in today's melting pot your language skills could really come
in handy.  And what a great way to improve and/or maintain your
language proficiency!  (Perhaps this talent could even be used in the
world of celiac disease.  Investigate this potential.)  Do you play a
musical instrument or sing?  (Again don't worry if you are not
perfect.  Your "gifts" can still benefit others and yourself.
Remember music is a form of therapy).  Offer to share your musical
talent at an old folks home or nursing home.  Or just come and spend
time chatting or reading to these people.  If you enjoy animals,
perhaps the S.P.C.A.  or a pet shop or kennel could benefit by your
loving these "friends".

Your volunteer opportunities are endless.  You just need to tap into
your talents and skills, go with a positive attitude, then watch your
concern for others flow and brighten their lives, as well as yours!

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Allergies vs. Autoimmune Reactions<5>:  Some people confuse celiac
disease (CD) with a food allergy.  By strict definition, CD is not an
"allergic" reaction.  Allergies are induced when the body becomes
sensitized to a specific allergen.  Antibodies (mainly a type called
IgE) are produced by the mast cells of the immune system.  Substances
called histamines are produced by the immune system.  The histamines
cause the classic symptoms of an allergy, which can be relieved with
medications called antihistamines, or by desensitization treatments.
Although in someone with CD, antibodies are produced by the damaged
small bowel, they don't originate from the mast cells.  (Likewise,
antibodies are produced when you have the flu, but you don't say that
you're "allergic" to the flu.)  CD can't be treated successfully with
antihistamines like allergies can.  So we know that CD is not an
allergy [in the exact sense].

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Cooking Hints du Jour, by Marilyn Dommel
---------------------

1. I currently use my own blended flour mix of 1/3 brown rice flour,
   1/3 soy flour, and 1/3 quinoa flour for muffins and breads.  This
   "mix" offers lots of great nutrition.  I never use plain starches
   except for fine cakes or cookies.  (I can't believe those starches
   offer us much in the way of nutrition.)

2. Blackstrap molasses is rich in iron, calcium, and potassium.  I
   sometimes substitute it for sugar (use about half as much
   blackstrap molasses, since it's strong and dark) in breads and
   muffins.  Delicious!

3. I love a real fruit smoothie on a hot summer day.  Chop any fruit
   into a blender, add ice cubes, and nonfat yogurt.  If you use plain
   yogurt instead of flavored yogurt, add one tablespoon honey and one
   teaspoon vanilla extract before blending the fruit mix.

      1 peeled and seeded pear
      1 peeled and seeded peach
      1 banana
      1/4 cup or so of pitted cherries or berries
      1 cup nonfat yogurt
      6 ice cubes

   Whip this mixture in a blender, pour it into a glass, and enjoy!