From:
Melinda Cuthbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Cuthbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 23:25:11 -0500

Hi all:

I almost had more requests for the summary than suggestions.  Of 6 who
responded:
4 said bring your own food, 1 recommended a restaurant guide for GF food at
restaurants in the US (some of which would be in Florida), and 1 provided
really wonderful suggestions of places to go.  I think all are required and
helpful.  I will let you know my experience after I come back, but in the
event anyone else is going for winter break....

The GoodHealth guide to GF food in restaurants in the US:

http://www.goodhealthpublishing.com/products.html#

Concrete suggestions for Florida and I quote:

Disney is excellent for handling the diet if you stay at one of their
hotels or eat a sit down dinner.

In Orlando, we have two health food stores that carry GF items:

WWW.chamberlins.com They are close to Disney. Their fresh chocolate
brownie is out of this world.

WWW.Wholefoods.com They are about 30 miles north.

Here is a Web site that has GF product list of items that you can find
in the US.

www.napervillegi.com/celiac/GFfoodlist011604.pdf

Here is a Web site with some more GF notes:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=29897.1

At Disney the best thing to do is to contact the Executive Chef at each
park and tell them where you are planning to eat and would they
coordinate a meal for you.

Bread is hard, Chamberlin's and a few Publix's ( a local grocery store)
carry some pre-made (frozen) bread. You have to toast it for a sandwich.

If you see any reference to a Florida bread with millet from Deland Bakery,
do not eat it.  We have evidence that it has 10 percent gluten it.  It
has taken years to find the proof after reports of problems from many
celiacs.

Currently MCDonalds french fries are GF.

Some restaurants that have GF items on their Web site menu.

wwww.Outback.com
www.bonefishgrill.com

If you go to the east coast of Florida, this is well worth your time.
WWW.CafeMargaux.com

I thank those who responded and welcome others to update this list with
their experiences.

Melinda