From:
Brenda Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:21:45 -0500

I have been reading messages for a while now, and it's time to  post my
query. Has anyone on the list suffered serious muscle problems that may be
related to celiac or wheat/food intolerance?  Here's my story (as briefly as
possible):

I have had muscle pain and weakness for about three years and have become
practically housebound in the last 6 months.  This past May, my CK level (a
blood test that indicates muscle damage) shot up to over 18,000 (normal is
 200-400).    I have had every muscle disorder test known to medicine with no
positive diagnosis.

For at least 15 years (probably longer), I have had  a sensitivity to wheat
and several other foods.  A five-hour glucose tolerance test and the pinprick
allergy test  6 years ago showed nothing.  I have tried to keep myself
functional simply by avoiding bad foods.  But this has become increasingly
less effective as I have aged (now age 50+).

I experimented with diet for several months and  found that if I keep myself
very clean of wheat, corn, oats, etc. and eat a high protein diet, my muscle
problems get better -- but do not disappear. If I eat too much of these
foods, I get very sick -- pain and nausea plus severe muscle weakness.   I
want my docs to test for celiac and other food intolerance but they  say they
don't believe muscle problems as serious as mine could be caused by foods.
 They also say I need the classical symptoms -- lots of diarrhea, weight
loss, etc. which I don't have, although I do have a lot of other gastro
problems.  Plus, my son (age 16) was diagnosed several years ago with Crohn's
disease.

I have seen posts on the list that suggest some neuromuscular problems
associated with celiac, so am hoping you can give me ammunition to use with
my docs.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Brenda