From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:51:44 -0500

More recipes and ideas....Again, I copied and pasted, but didn't edit or try these.
I got quite a few responses recommending guyere cheese.
And since I can't use a beef or poultry base stock with dairy (kosher rules), I'll either use Imagine vegetable stock, make my own veggie stock using some of the suggested recipes, or use Lipton Soup Mix (not the one that says kosher.)  Thanks again for sharing. Here are some more. Happy New Year to all of you. Lin

1.My recipe uses chicken broth but I think the Swanson GF vegetable broth might also taste good. It also calls for 3 tbsps. of bacon drippings but I would use butter.
I plan on making it for my son's vegetarian girlfriend.

saute 3 large onions sliced fine in 3 tbsps. of butter until soft

Add 2 tbsp GF flour ( i use Bette's featherlite), 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper and 1 clove of mashed garlic

cook until mixture is gloden brown but not burned

add: a sprig of parsley, a pinch of thyme and 1 qt. of vegetable broth

simmer for 3/4 hour

place bread in each bowl (I use sliced gillian's french rolls crisped under the broiler )

top with grated mozzerella or a deli sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese

put under broiler till it starts to brown

2.   My own French onion soup (Mireille)
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. butter
6 very big Vidalia type onions, minced about 3/4"
1 T. minced in oil garlic in a jar
1 T. gf dry beef or chicken bouillon* (if you use chicken stock, add dry beef bouillon, and vice versa)
about 2 c. gf beef or chicken stock
1/2c. dry sherry
1/3 c. brandy
4 bay leaves
1 t. thyme
1/4 c. dry parsley
salt, pepper

The success of this soup is the caramelizing:  brown onions into oil & butter, until very very caramelized.  It will reduce considerably.  You can begin with 12 cups and end up with 2 cups.

Watch and stir for it not to burn.

Add all the rest of ingredients, and let simmer, covered about 1 hr.

Make croutons, with your gf bread, use French soup bowls, put croutons over the soup, add shredded Gruyere top with good Parmesan, and broil at the highest you can put your oven rack for your bowls not to touch the element.  Let the oven door ajar, and broil until the cheese is golden.

Great Chef soup, I can tell you.

*tips for the web:

(1)caramelize onions in a roasting pan in a 350°F oven. I'm often doing about 6 pounds of onions at a time for Pissaladiere--way too many for a skillet. And although it takes about 2 hours, you don't have to pay much attention to them. I turn them with tongs about every half an hour and that's it.

(2)I caramelize onions in the crockpot regularly ever since I read about it on this board. I slice up as many onions as the crockpot will hold - for ours, that's about 5lbs. Throw in a stick of butter on top and set the cooker on high. The onions render a lot of fluid in the first few hours. Keep the cooker on high until the fluid has evaporated, then turn it to low and let it cook slowly. The onions gradually brown in the butter. The whole process takes around 8-12 hours for me, but this probably depends on the onions and your crockpot. When it's finished, the onions are caramelized and there's no liquid. The 5 lbs cook down to about a quart which we use on sandwiches and pizza. They'll keep in the refrigerator for months, though ours never last that long.

3. this is my version of the onion soup. As bread I normally use Schär bread ("Rustico" or "Ciabattina", I don't know what names they have in the States, hoffentlich the same). I like this bread very much.
So... I use rice oil instead of butter, because it is healthier. If I don't have rice oil, I use cold pressed olive oil. I cut a lot of onions in rings and than again in half-moons and put them in the pot with the oil. I add salt and after a while a tablespoon of gf flour (don't care which kind, you don't taste it). Then I add water and black pepper. I stir and then cover. I cook in the pressure cooker, and it takes only 10 minutes. When it is ready you can mix it, but I normally don't. I put the bred in a dish and pour over the soup. Then I put a lot of grated parmesan chees (the real one "Parmigiano Reggiano" or "Grana Padano"). Well, as you can imagine, I am Italian. I love the soup! No beef, as you see.