From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:29:44 GMT

>Recently, however, I picked up the CELIAC GFDIET info off of the Listserv,
>and they list "Quiona" as a grain to avoid.   Is there a typo here and
>should

This is another one of those hot issues in the celiac world.  The Canadian
Celiac Association allows Quiona in the GF diet.  In the US, some of the
national groups report Quiona as being unknown and therefore suspect.  The
diet available in the file GFDIET is a copy of what is available from the
ADA.  When the diet from other countries is available, they will be
added to the file.

Since the ADA diet covers the worst cases and is an official medical
reference, it was selected for a diet standard.

The file GRAINS give some additonal details on this subject and may
allow you to make a choice about which grains to include in the diet.
There are many celiacs who report no adverse effects from Quinoa, but
that is not adequate reason to go against a medical standard.  It can
be labeled GF in the US because of the current status of our labeling
laws (right or wrong).

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA