From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:50:11 -0800

Dear Listmates,

Over the past couple of weeks I have been helping a gluten-free friend make
various breads in addition to non-dairy challah. Expandex has become more
difficult to find and more expensive, so this was an opportunity to tweak
the non-dairy challah recipe based on current market conditions. We used a
substitute that is easier to get. My friend reported that she didn't have
success with the challah, so I decided to give it a try, once using soy
milk and once using water as the major liquid ingredient. Since my wife and
I were invited to Sunday potluck brunch, I decided to make rolls instead of
a braided bread. The rolls worked just fine, and the people attending the
brunch said, "It doesn't taste gluten free." They seemed to equally enjoy
both flavors of the rolls - soy milk and water. Isn't that what it is all
about - sharing food with friends. Gluten intolerance can be a very
socially isolating issue, and I push back on that regularly.

You can take a look at the rolls at http://bit.ly/GF_Bake (equivalent to
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking). Click-through or copy-paste
into your browser and when you get to the website navigate down under Yeast
Breads to Rolls and Small Breads. Look for the red chevron (>). If you are
intolerant to soy, then use the soy-free version of Earthbalance and change
to water. We haven't tested with almond milk or rice milk, but they should
work well, too. If you do try this recipe with almond or rice milk, please
let us know your results.

Was there a difference between soy milk and water? Hardly any. If anything,
the bread with soy milk is a little nuttier. The rolls are pretty edible
the next day, and they can be fully revived to their full fluffy texture if
you wrap them in aluminum foil (single file) and place them in the oven for
5 minutes per the instructions in the recipe. How do we know this? Our
hostess warmed the rolls just prior to the brunch. People loved them.

One more thing: One of the brunch attendees is allergic to corn in addition
to wheat. This was not a problem because the bread was made with potato
starch instead of corn starch. Could you use corn starch in place of potato
starch? Probably; however, that hasn't been tested.

As always, feel free to ask questions or send comments.

Vic - Sunnyvale, Ca