From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:21:20 -0400

I've been seeing this question so often on the listserv, I've decided to share with all of you instead of one on one.

With regard to whether or not we can bring prepared meals on flights.....While we have to buy water and soda and juice after security, the rest of the meal (not liquids like soup) is fine.

Can you imagine the aroma when my son flew home from the east coast to California a couple of years ago? He had promised his co-workers real NY pizza, real corned beef and pastrami sandwiches, etc. His entire carry-on was filled with food for his buddies. Must have made everyone near him hungry. But he had no trouble going through security.

I joked about it to a flight attendant on another flight and she said people bring all sorts of meals with them from home now, especially since you can't get meals on over-land flights.

One woman tells me she uses the cheapest small boxes of frozen spinach as her coolpacks. They evidently keep well.

I generally don't travel with cold stuff, but by the end of my trip, I'm sick of tuna and crackers and trailmix! When I flew in April, I added baggies of gf Rice Chex for variety. Cold cereal is better than salty, sugary snacks. I do not like any of the healthbars. I find them too sweet.

We're leaving shortly and will be signing off the listserv for three weeks. Stay weel. Enjoy your travels....and feel free to bring your own cooking. Just watch out for the restrictions on liquids.