From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:13:02 -0500

I received two replies to my request for "safe" restaurants in Worcester. I
thank them both very much:

Yes, the 1130 ( or some number like that) chop house on Shrewsbury street is
fantastic! The food is great, the waitress didn't even have to go to the
chef to know which entrees were gf, and they also make their own desserts
there- so they know which are gf ( the flourless chocolate cake was the
first piece of cake I have had in almost 2 yrs.,and was great). It is not
cheap, but worth it. You will need reservations. Karen

My family is originally from the Boston area and we returned there with our
5 year old celiac daughter for the Christmas holidays.  On Christmas Eve we
ate at Ken's steak house in Framingham.  (This may be farther away than you
intended).  My husband picked this restaurant because we understood, the
bottled salad dressings are GF so he figured the restaurant would be OK.
(We cannot get the dressings here in TX but we remembering reading it a
while back)  The meal was great and the steak was GF.  Now they had a lot
of fried items and fish with crumbs on top and sauces for the meats, all of
which we avoided.  The fries also were not cooked in a dedicated fryer so
we opted for "real" mashed potatoes.  I would recommend this restaurant.

Currently I live in Texas and a rule of thumb around here is that most
steak houses are fine for celiacs.  Have your  meat cooked plain, order a
baked potato and the salad and you should be safe.  Avoid the sauses,
croutons, and potato toppings unless you know them to be GF.

As it turned out, the One Eleven (111) Chop House had no available times
that we could make, so we ended up at their sister restaurant The Sole
Proprietor (which we located through a web search-both restaurants have
very informative web pages). We had an excellant meal! Our waitress Taylor
was very kind and understanding, and my salad with olive oil and balsamic
vinegar, mashed potatoes (homemade with only butter and milk, and the potato
skins) and broiled swordfish were delicious. My wonderful husband also
thoroughly enjoyed his gluten-filled dinner. I felt very comfortable, and
have experienced no symptoms of contamination. I can comfortably recommend
this restaurant to my celiac friends on this listserve- thank you all for
your help and support over the years!!!!