From:
Debbie Resch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 18:22:14 -0400

GINGERBREAD 1
1-3/4 c. GF flour mix
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter or margarine (cold)
1 - 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. Cloves
1 egg (cold)
1/4 to 3/8 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. GF molasses

Combine the rice flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum, cloves,
ginger, and salt.  Mix well.
Cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture is in crumbs the size of
peas.  In a small bowl beat the sugar, egg, and molasses together.
Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough pulls away
from the sides.  From the dough into a flat ball shape and refrigerate for
one hour.  Dust some freezer paper (not wax paper) with GF flour or
confectioner's sugar.  Put the dough on the freezer paper and sprinkle with
flour or confectioner's sugar.  Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut out
shape as desired.  Bake at 350 F. for 12 minutes.  cool on a wire rack.
Makes about 20 cookies.

#2 Sugar Gingersnaps

3/4 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cup GF Flour Mix (B. Haggman's)*
1 and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 tsp GF Ginger (Club House and Watkin's are two I know are safe)

1. Cream margarine, sugar and egg.  Stir in molasses.
2. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl, stirring well or sifting
3. Mix dry ingredients and creamed mixture together.
4. Roll into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet, flatten slightly
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes until bottom is brown.
Cookies will be soft when removed from pan but will firm up when cool.
When lightly browned these cookies end up being chewy - if you like
crispier gingersnaps just cook a minute or so longer.

* Bette Haggman's Mix is: 6 cups rice flour, 2 cups potato starch and 1
cup tapioca flour.

Note: Potato starch and potato starch flour are the same item.  Potato
Flour is very different and has a very stong taste, not that suitable for
replacing regular flour.

#3 GINGERBREAD

Cutout Cookies
**************
1 1/2 c dark molasses
1 c packed brown sugar
2/3 c cold water
1/3 c shortening ( I used golden crisco)
7 c Bette Hagman GF flour mix (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch)
5 tsp. Xantham gum
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
  Decorators Frosting

Mix molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.  I put these in the bowl
and turned on the mixer while I mixed the rest of the ingredients.  Mix in
remaining
ingredients except frosting.  Cover and refridgerate at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured board (I used sweet
rice flour).  Cut with floured gingerbread or any cookie cutters.  Place
about 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake until no
indentation remains when touched, 10 to 12 minutes.  I was finding I was
taking them out at about 9 minutes.  Cool.  Frost or decorate with frosting.
Makes about 2 1/2 dz. 2 1/2 inch cookies.

Regular Cookies
***************
Decrease flour to 6 cups.  Roll dough 1/2 inch thick.  Bake about 15 minutes.

DECORATORS FROSTING
*******************

2 c powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp water

Mix adding 2 tbsp water and the third one as needed.  Should easily go into
decorators tube or hold shape.

I just split it 6 ways into little cups and colored them.  Put a butter
knife with each bowl and let the kids go to it.  We ended up with some very
colorful rainbow gingerbread men, santas, angels, trees, reindeer, etc. and
they had fun.

For those in Canada (Alberta) Redpath Icing sugar at IGA is GF.

#4 GINGERBREAD

Preheat oven to 350.

In mixing bowl, combine:

2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 T. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Add:

1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. molasses
2 T. water

Mix with hands and add more tapioca flour or water to make a kneadable dough.
 Roll out on a (tapioca) floured board to about 1/4 inch thick and use a
"gingerbread man" cookie cutter, or simply roll into 1" balls and flatten.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 14 minutes.  Cookies should be
cakelike, but slightly chewy.

We're trying to avoid sugar.  Dusting these cookies with powdered sugar (I
make my own by putting sugar into a clean coffee grinder) makes your tongue
think that they are sweeter than they really are.  They're really pretty
good.  Or, if you like 'em even sweeter, add 1/4 cup of sugar to the dry mix.

#6 Gingerbread Cookies (GF)

1 3/4 cups GF flour mix
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/4 to 3/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter or margerine (cold)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg (cold)
1/2 tsp. GF molasses

Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum, cloves,
cinnamon, ginger and salt.  Mix well.  Cut in the butter or margerine
until the mixture is in crumbs the size of peas.

In a small bowl beat the sugar, egg, and molasses together.  Add this
mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough pulls away from
the sides.  Form the dough into a flat ball shape and refrigerate for
one hour.

Dust some freezer paper (not wax paper) with GF flour or confectioner's
sugar.  Put the dough on the freezer paper and sprinkle with flour or
confectioner's sugar.  Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut out
shapes as desired.

Bake at 350 (F) degrees for 12 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  Makes
about 20 cookies.

Rice Crispie aka Gingerbread House

Last year I was having the same problem, and luckily Kellogg's came out
with Christmas coloured rice krispies.  A pattern for a ski lodge or
house was on the box, as well as Christmas cutouts.  My son and I spent
a day on this.  We had a blast and it turned out quite good.  He thought
it was just as good as gingerbread.  The cookies were really easy to do
(I'm not a big one for rolling pastry and stuff) as you could just
reshape with your hands or move the warm mixture around in the cookie
cutters.  They were a big hit at the school party we took them to also.
(My son is allergic to just wheat, so I'm not sure if there are any
marshmallows that are gluten free)
Michelle in Vancouver, BC