From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 00:15:36 -0700

     My thanks to all who responded to my query about Sweetarts. Most
had had bad experiences with them, and therefore had relegated them to
the forbidden list. A few reported eating them without any reaction.
The final word came from Tracey, a listmember in Connecticut.
      The bad news is, sweetarts are NOT GF. Tracey called Sunline
Brands, makers of Sweetarts, yesterday, and was personally told that
the artificial flavors listed as ingredients are suspect, because
Sunline has never been able to get the suppliers to guarantee that the
flavors are gluten-free.
    But Tracey also had good news: Smarties, made Ce De Candy in New
Jersey, 908-964-9660, are GF. The company has letters from suppliers
guaranteeing that all the flavors used are safe for us.
    I will mourn sweetarts for the rest of my life, but even as I do,
I have to admit that Smarties lollypops (so sour my tongue peels, just
the way I like it) make a better than decent substitute.
     Long live sour candies.
                                                 Mary in NYC