From:
Johanne Johnson et Robert Bilodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2000 15:33:14 -0400

This was my original message, my summary will follow.

>Although I've been GF for over a year, I still experienced fatigue, mental
>and physical, so I went to see a doctor and he had my cortisol level tested
>am and pm.
>
>When the test came back, my cortisol level was twice the normal maximum and
>my DHEA level was low.  So it means that I am suffering from adrenal
>exhaustion and I should take DHEA to lower my cortisol level.
>
>Since DHEA supplement is forbidden in Canada, I've ordered though internet
>and hope it will get through.  I ordered 7-keto, because it seems that the
>DHEA form is not good for women. I also ordered Pregnenolone .
>
>Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  I read that cortisol level may
>rise abnormaly under great prolonged stress.  I considered that eating
>gluten for years could have put a prolonged stress on my body.

I received 16 answers.

One person with medical training told me to seek professionnal help and
even ask a second opinion if necessary because the high level of
cortisol could hide a more serious disease such as Cushing syndrome.

Some told me that DHEA or/and Pregnenolone helped them, some told me
it made things worst.

One told me that coffee could elevate cortisol (although I never drink
coffee)

Here are some of the comments I received:

<I am now taking pregnenolone prescribed by my homeopath since my hormones
<were affected by the celiac and the malabsorption of fat caused by it.  I am
<also taking natural pig thyroid because I was hypothyroid (also caused by
<malabsorption of fat) and refuse to take the Snythroid that does NOT contain
<the natural calcitonin needed to keep calcium in the bones.  My hair stopped
<falling out and my skin isn't so dry anymore.  I sleep much better also.
****
<I too suffer high cortisol, low DHEA.  The ASI test, which is a saliva test,
<is a really good indicator or what's happening and what time of day, etc.
<I'm sorry to report that so far we haven't found a way to down-regulate my
<excessive cortisol production and I fight this anxiety thing because of it.
<Long term stressful life, etc.  GF 3 years, also.  Now one of my Drs. has me
<on a protocol of Phosphorylated Serine (Seriphos) about 3 times a day along
<with an extract of the adrenals called Drenatrophin that has the upper part
<taken out of it.  It's been about 3 weeks and I think it's helping, but
<after all these years of high cortisol, I suppose my impatience to get
<better isn't being helpful.  I would really love to hear how you progress
<and especially if you find a way out of this.  DHEA on me went into the
<wrong pathway and messed up my hormones.
***
<Hi.  Allergies also cause the release of cortisol, including all food
<allergies, so you must get rid of ALL of your allergens (not just gluten) to
<get your cortisol levels down.  For me that was many  foods.
***
<I had this same problem a year ago, and my doctor put me on DHEA, just 5 mg
<twice a day. I still take it, and it has made such an amazing difference. I
<have another friend who is also celiac and goes to a different doctor in
<this area. She takes the same dosage and is also doing great.
***
<Have you tried Armour Thyroid before what you're taking?  I have
<anti-thyroid antibodies, but sometimes the thyroid is too stimulating and
<sometimes it's fine. I'm allergic to iodine so that cuts out most
<thyroid-helpers.  I've taken the 5HTP several times, finally got some just
<plain L-tryptophan (it's available if you know how to do it), but it's
<always given me a hangover type reaction so I don't use it either.  The
<pregnenelone always makes me too hyper, for some reason.  I think a body in
<chronic stress from un-wellness reacts to lots of things negatively.  It's
<so very frustrating!
***
(Actually, I do take thyroid medication, it is called Thyroplex and it does
help me.

I also take 5-HTP.)

I will go investigate further with an internist.  In the mean time I will
try 7-keto and Pregnelonone at small doses, but I will watch carefully for
adverse reactions.

I will follow-up in a few months to let you know how things go.

Thanks to everyone.  That list is so helpfull.

Johanne Johnson
Montreal QC Canada.