From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:29:26 -0500

I would first of all like to say thank you to the very prompt response to everyone that responded!!!! It was such a comfort to hear from so many people!!!!
I feel this list is a 'life saver' when one feels 'lost and alone'!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!

I am leaning towards the possibility that I may have contracted a flu bug of sorts.  When I had the flu the last time, I don't remember, and everything of being newly diagnosed,,,,,,I paniced!!! The next day from sending the 'SOS', I did not do much of anything except sleep, and drink some gaterade. That evening I became very achy and had a temp of 100.  I slept well, and have felt pretty good today.  Thankfully.  I am sore from vomiting,,,,but don't seem to have the 'celiac belly' pain.

I will summarize the comments I got, in hopes that it will be a comfort to others.  I received about 60+ responses!!!! Again, what encouragement!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry you got so sick. My daughter is our celiac, we eat Thai all the time, i buy
"real" sticky rice all the time, i doubt that is the culprit.

I would lean towards cross contamination.........were all preparation sites cleaned
thoroughly? Were all utensils and cooking pots cleaned thoroughly? If they cooked
regular pasta in a pot, just rinsed it and then cooked the rice, that would make you
sick........

i hope you feel better very soon..................................... :)

cross contamination is huge, even a stick of butter, with someone else's toast
crumbs on it, that would make you sick.......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The colander that was used to drain the water from the steamed veggies may be the culprit!!! Perhaps pasta/wheat noodles was drained in the same colander!?!?!? Just something to be careful of. What you have eaten appears to be GF, but cross-contamination
raises a red flag.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent GF forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

There are kind and knowledgeable people there, including doctors with CD, and an extensive GF product list.
{I have done this as well, and received encouragement from there, too!}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would not call them, because they would only feel bad.......i know for me, it is
my responsibility and my daughters responsibility to make sure her food is
prepared properly, no matter where we eat.

Next time, i would mention, before hand, that all preparation areas and pots, pans
and utensils have to be cleaned first. I personally, use brillo pads if i ever use a pan
for regular and then GF food. but of course we have designated GF pans at my house.

Its a "dicey" situation, learn from it and move on.

Again, i hope you feel better very soon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so new in recovery that you are still healing inside....could be
that all that roughage (steamed veggies) is just making you feel bad.  My
daughter continued to have bouts of horrible diarrhea and gas pain for 6-8
months after diagnosis....not due to gf slips, but just the healing process.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is this your usual response to gluten?  It sounds more like a food poisoning
reaction to me - a toxic one (i.e. there's a toxin makes you feel ill, not a
microbial attack.)  Is gastric flu going the rounds?  Could just have had an
attack unrelated to CD?  Sticky rice is real rice, so unless it had been
accidentally contaminated in some way (much less likely this than many other
grains which are grown in the same fields used for wheat), you shouldn't
have a COELIAC reaction to it, though you might have a reaction to almost
any of those foods.  For example strawberries cause violent allergic
reactions in some people, but I'd expect you to be well aware of such a
reaction by now, if that was an issue.

Not very helpful but I hope you can look a little wider now and recognise
that you may not have "messed up" (is that the correct "American"?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So much rice is processed with barley coatings on it and so much rice is
processed in facilities that probably are contaminated. That is probably
doing it. Barley makes me sicker than anything else. I KNOW this is
horrid, but I never eat foods prepared at other people's houses. I've
been GF for 17 months and what keeps me well is eating ONLY my own food.
I know this is really a drag, but it works. At restaurants I eat only
plain salad and bring my own food and I try to eat out almost not at
all. I never eat anything prepared in my friends' houses, I bring my own
food. It's the only way to be certain of what you're getting.

sorry you're not feeling well. Sounds like the culprit is the sticky rice.
I had read in an earlier post regarding rice that some imported rice from
India used wheat flour as a coating/lubricant.  It's possible that the rice
your host served may have been treated similarly. You might want to check
with them the origin of the rice and call the manufacturer or distributor.